Monday, November 05, 2012

PEGGY NOONAN: MITT ROMNEY IS SEXY JESUS

On her Wall Street Journal blog, Peggy Noonan says Fie on your silly polling averages! -- she has a hunch Mitt Romney's going to win the election:
I think he's stealing in "like a thief with good tools," in Walker Percy's old words.
This are odd words to quote in reference to Mitt Romney, because when Walker Percy -- a devout Catholic -- used them in reference to his own writing, the thief he was referring to was God:
We like to say that as writers we are own bosses, but I think writers realize more than others just who really is in charge. The blank page, the moistness under the arms and above the lip, the sheer terror of Nothing Happening. I know that it doesn't come from some nook of the brain when the words start to come. I know that I'm not wrestling forth a novel, a phrase, one perfectly wonderful sentence. I know where it comes from. I can sometimes feel Him slip into me like a thief with good tools.
"I can sometimes feel Him slip into me like a thief with good tools": it's a bit, um, erotic the way Percy talks about it. And it's rather creepily erotic in Noonan's blog post, in reference to Mitt. Here's the entire paragraph in which Noonan uses this quote:
We begin with the three words everyone writing about the election must say: Nobody knows anything. Everyone's guessing. I spent Sunday morning in Washington with journalists and political hands, one of whom said she feels it's Obama, the rest of whom said they don't know. I think it's Romney. I think he's stealing in "like a thief with good tools," in Walker Percy’s old words. While everyone is looking at the polls and the storm, Romney's slipping into the presidency. He's quietly rising, and he's been rising for a while.
After reading about Romney doing all that slipping in and rising, I think I need a shower -- a decontamination shower.

8 comments:

Roger said...

A thief with good tools is how Nooners got Ronnie's loafer out of the clutches of that controlling selfish bitch Nancy.

Victor said...

Nooner's plaster cast of St. Ronnie Reagan's d*ck doesn't need rising - it has risen - and will stay that way.
Of course, to get Reagan that way, they had to use the same d*ck-pump system that Paulie Castellano used with his maid.
I just hope Nancy got one.

Peg O' Ronnie's heart, take a Val*um with that sherry, and STFU!!!

Pinku-Sensei said...

So, Peggy Noonan has let slip that she thinks Willard the Rat will steal the election. Nice of her to admit it.

BillyWitchDoctor said...

Ugh. Must you flick your bean in public, Peggy?

Ten Bears said...

No Pinku, she, the consumate Republian insider, is blowing a carefully crafted dogwhistle to the base that everything is going according to plan.

Unknown said...

And BillyWitchDoctor, like a thief with good tools, sneaks in for the win!

Pinku-Sensei said...

OK, TenBears, I see what you mean. However, that dogwhistle sounds a different pitch to some Democrats who have just a touch of paranoia resulting from their memories of 2000 and 2004. I doubt that's the note Noonan wants to play, but the overtone is there just the same.

Victor said...

What Mick intended to write:

'I met a gin-soaked, bar-room Queen in DC..."